Today Greyson and I decided to have one last look at our water samples from the “riparian field trip” of a few weeks ago. After one week we just didn’t seem to see anything at all. We had a problem with the microscopes. One had lost its mirror. The second one has a small lamp but we couldn’t seem to get it to function. William fixed the light problem, apparently it was a simple flipping around of the batteries!
We started with the sample with dirt and both felt we saw “nada.” Then we moved on to the grass sample and wondered if something may have flashed by the lens, but we went real impressed. Then we tried the rice in the water sample and saw some fast moving somethings but couldn’t see anything well enough to pin a name on it. We held our noses to open the sample with some egg and dear Mama (yes, that’s me) decided to drop the rest after getting our slide fixed as the stench was quite overwhelming. Bad choice that was, should have just closed it back up. Live and learn!
Greyson thought he saw something but it was close to lunch and Mama woman had to move along. Greyson stuck it out and squealed with delight after several minutes of searching back and forth and up and down with the various lenses. At first we went too sure what!
Greyson got out his biology book and then went after the boys’ high school book which has some illustrations of the various bacteria. We feel fairly certain that Greyson found two amoebas. He observed them for about an hour. One may have even divided in that time. He was able to see a pseudopod emerge from one.
After all that time it seems the light on the microscope may have served to help cook our little critters after so much observation. We’ve both decided it might be worth the effort to try again, but I think we will try water from another source that is more “pondy” than the pool in the park where we got our first water.
That’s all folks!